Sunday, January 06, 2008

It's a New Year!

Well kind of. Like the Canadian dollar reaching par with its American big brother or $1.00/litre gas, January 1st is a pretty significant psychological barrier. I achieved none of the things I wanted to in 2007 (though it's possible that mail-order bride was merely lost at sea) but with the start of 2008 hope springs eternal. Well no, not really. It springs up once in while and hopefully just long enough to give me the energy to get a job. Edmonton is a nice city but I do not have a nice job, a nice place or a nice car, and as a result I'm getting pretty tired of this place rubbing its nice things in my face. The only thing I can do to fight back is move somewhere that has things Edmonton does not. Like a summer that lasts more than four months. That is this year's goal, to finish 2008 with a real home base, somewhere I'm happy to invite people to visit. Not just in terms of my physical housing space, but have a life worth being proud about. I've never been good at feeling proud of myself or anything I've done, so that's the goal this year. Have a nice pad, have a job I enjoy going to and feel good telling people about, and maybe a cool hobby. The goal for 2009 is to travel like a mad fool. It's probably telling that I'm further along on those plans than 2008's. Good luck to all of you who made New Year's resolutions, hopefully you were able to remember the ones from last year to see if you achieved them. Or hopefully not.

No comments: